Re: Emergency: PCMCIA stopped working after non-clean shutdown

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> Argggh...
>
> Sorry to scream at all of you, but my I was working on my Dell Inspiron
> 8200 on battery power, and was just powering off when the battery cut
> out completely. Now, when I try to start up my machine with the main
> power connected boot up stalls at PCMCIA. It doesn't hang, because I can
> ctrl-alt-del and reboot the machine cleanly. But the attempt to get
> PCMCIA doesn't seem to time out (unless its timeout is *really* long).
> Boot up just stops there. Now (a) my wireless PCMCIA card is my only
> internet connection; and (b) I'm lost in Windows (where I'm posting this
> message from, using the same machine and the same wireless PCMCIA card,
> so there's nothing wrong with the hardware). Everything was fine before
> the abrupt power-off. I'm guessing there is something like a lock-file I
> need to delete, but i dont't know what it is or where it is, and I'm
> unsure of what steps to take booting my machine with the rescue disk
> (yes, I do have one).

There is a pcmcia lock file in /var/lock, a cardmgr.pid file in /var/run,
and a stab file in /var/lib/pcmcia.  I don't know what the symptoms would
be if any of these were left behind.

> If someone would like to hold my hand through this I'd be so grateful.

Not sure what else to suggest, but HTH.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences