Re: How To: HP LJ Ser 2 on RH 9

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 05:31, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> I used printer configuration to set up a locally-connected printer on
> /dev/lp0. The printer is a HP LaserJet Series 2. The system installed the Omni
> driver. If I select test and print an ASCII text test page, the test page
> prints correctly.
>
> If I try to print anything else using anything else (gedit, open office,
> mozilla, and so on) the output is blurry garbage.
>
> I suspect that the system is trying to send postscript format to a
> non-postscript printer.

Not! Postscript is "readable" ascii, so if you get garbage you're not
getting postscript.

> I would think that such an old printer would have no problem working with
> supplied drivers?

A while ago I had a LJ series 2 which worked fine with the RH7.x
drivers.

> Can anyone advice me on how to get the printer working on RH 9?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mike.

Maybe you could try other printer drivers? Try configuring it as a
Laserjet 2 (seems to use other drivers) or a standard Laserjet (they are
backward compatible I think).

--
Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>