How To: HP LJ Ser 2 on RH 9

I used printer configuration to set up a locally-connected printer on
/dev/lp0. The printer is a HP LaserJet Series 2. The system installed the Omni
driver. If I select test and print an ASCII text test page, the test page
prints correctly.

If I try to print anything else using anything else (gedit, open office,
mozilla, and so on) the output is blurry garbage.

I suspect that the system is trying to send postscript format to a
non-postscript printer.

I would think that such an old printer would have no problem working with
supplied drivers?

Can anyone advice me on how to get the printer working on RH 9?

Thank you.

Mike.