Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

> Elton,
>
> I have an athlon thunderbird 1.0 also on a Abit KT7A-RAID that is
having
> random lockups.  I have not been able to track it down whatsoever.
> Pretty stable under psyche and phoebe and many more lockups now with
> exactly the same hardware.  It will lock to the point where I cannot
ssh
> to the machine.  I have had an unresolved problem since 7.2 with the
> southbridge issues but this is really pushing me towards a new
> motherboard and chip.

It's funny you should mention that chip and board.  Most of my Shrike
problems (including exactly this same set of problems) are on an Athlon
T-Bird 1.0 on a Jetway 867 board.  The chip was previously on an Abit
KT7A-RAID.  (Personally, I can't stand the Abit boards.  I loved them at
first.)  One funny thing that the Abit KT7A boards (RAID and non-RAID)
do is use the wrong voltage when starting with a new chip for the first
time, even when the CMOS has been cleared.  I've run through many chips
on several of these boards and have lots of experience with them.  I've
lost several chips on them, too.  They do something to the chips that
causes them to only work on that board.  (Of course, I don't think it's
intentional.)  Sometimes it just kills them.  Trying to run a 1.4, even
with the BIOS updated, will generally fry it.  I considered myself
lucky, since I put the 1.0 back on a Jetway, and it never gave any
problems in Psyche or Windows.  Is it possible that Shrike is using a
part of the CPU or demanding performance out of the CPU in such a way
that normally undetectable damage shows up?  Or more likely, does
something in Shrike not know how to use the 1.0 T-bird chip anymore?

Mine's a 100MHz FSB.  (Not my choice.)  What FSB are you guys running
at?