Re: Why do I have to rant about Red Hat SCREWING with XFree everyupgrade?

Matt Wilson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:38:09PM -0400, Walter Francis wrote:

Don't tell me Red Hat doesn't support source installed things, that's a bunch of crap because IT HAPPENS. I KNOW they can't possibly work around situations, but praytell why are these dir/links *backwards* in the first damn place? That's the root of the problem.

How did you make the link? Is it absolute or relative?
I had similar problem with other packages in the past becaues I used an absolute symlink. When I changed it to a relative link rpm was OK.

Example: docs used to be /usr/docs, and /usr was getting full. So I moved them to /usr/local/docs and symlinked in /usr as docs->/usr/local/rpms/docs . Now When I went to upgrade the distro, that failed. because /usr/local was now /mnt/sysimage/usr/local but the link pointed to /usr/local. Changing the link to docs->./local/rpms/docs
allowed the upgrade to work.

We put the xkb stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib/xkb because the bulk of it can
(and should) be shared between systems.  The same reason that you ran
into trouble is the reason it is hard to change that decision now.
That is, it's quite hard to replace a directory with a symlink via a
RPM upgrade.

Will the upgrade handle a relative symlink there instead. So when rpm tests /usr/X11/lib/xkb it's there, and them follows the existing link?
Sam when it tried to create the link in /etc/X11, it returns EEXISTS and rpm continues on.

And Walter, when you install your XFree86 from source, why not leave the link, and let XF86 follow it on install. Or edit the X config file to put it in /usr instead of /etc. Isn't that how the Red Hat changes it?

-Thomas