Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

>> ... SB Live! series card. ... <<

Interesting. This has been mentioned several times. The Athlon Thunderbird 1.333 that I have here is fine with the SB Live! in it. (The MB audio also worked with RH9.) Though I'll admit that I'm not compiling a new kernel while listening to ogg files. Perhaps I should work it harder before I deliver it.<g>

>> The other major hardware source of instability problems is using an inadequate and/or non-Athlon-certified power supply <<

I'll second that suggestion! The Athlon chip is a power hog. The Thunderbird chips forced me to specify 300+ watt power supplies -- even for "simple office machines". A tower with lots of extras needs more.

This was reinforced when talking with tech support at my hardware suppliers.

ck