RH9 -- The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

The Good:

Loaded RH9 on a new HDD.  Things generally went very smoothly, much more
so than RH8.

RH8 required me to attach a PS/2 mouse at all times when using my
Logitech USB Optical Mouse until I was several updates up from the
original.  No such problem with RH9.

RH8 locked up, requiring a completely new reload of RH8, if I toggled
the modem to dial up during power up -- no such problems with RH9.

RH8 refused to power down with the Network Device Control active -- no
such problem with RH9.

My thanks to the RH9 software engineers for those improvements!

The Bad:

Update files appear to be complete replacements rather than patches --
this makes life very difficult for those on dial-up lines -- constant
disconnects and lengthly download times.

"Invalid GPG Signature" errors during the RH Update Agent process makes
unattended downloads of huge update files impossible -- requiring one to
sit for hours in front of the computer only to be there for a second
every now and then to tell it to ignore the GPG error.

The Ugly:

If the disconnect occurs not during the waiting screen for the GPG error
but in the middle of a file download then the download is frozen -- when
I clicked "Forward" the next step in the Update initiated, started to
implement the updates then hit a bad update file -- this froze things
again but this time requiring a restart

A restart at this point implements some updates but not all of the
dependencies and trashes the install -- a message about X starting or
restarting too soon (or something like that) comes up on a mostly black
screen -- the only way out is to restart and then the same thing
happens.

I toggled the option for RPM Rollback during the early setup of RH9 but
this error doesn't trigger a y/n request to activate the RPM Rollback --
thought it clearly should.

I am temporarily back on my RH8 HDD while I reload RH9 cleanly all over
again on the new HDD.  This time I will make a list of the 17 updates
and burn them to a CD at work and do the update at home from a CD.

Sure wish RH Update Agent had better error capture routines.

To my fellow Christians/Linux-RH9 brothers and sisters I pray a blessed
Easter/Resurrection Sunday, to the rest of my fellow Linux-RH9 friends I
pray an enlightening weekend ... ;-)  doc