Re: Will setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 fix constant RH9 crashes?

Another thing to consider is that the IDE system seems to still be
under development on the LKML. Earlier kernels tended to default
rather conservatively. Newer more performance oriented boot time
defaults may be setting some systems up for failure due to particular
hard disk and motherboard chipset tradeoffs.

People experiencing crashes and perhaps disk corruption might
consider setting their hdparms values to less aggressive values.
(NEVER set them more aggressively than the kernel defaults for given
drives and chipsets.)

This is a long shot to be sure. But if the crashes are really random
and not related to specific applications then it may be a good idea
to consider this potential. A journalling filesystem can mask the
"corrupted filesystem" aspect of the usual IDE system defect.

(You can thank some Open Source zealots for some of the state of the
IDE system, today. They more or less drove off the fellow who was the
chief asset Linux had for IDE development. I've seen maybe one post
by Andre Hedrick in the last couple months.)

{^_^}