Re: Will setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 fix constant RH9 crashes?

** Reply to message from Tod Liebeck <tliebeck@xxxxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:22:01 -0700

> On my workstations, which never crashed running RHL8, Red Hat Linux 9
> has all the stability of a Windows 98 box with a corrupted registry and
> dying power supply.  I've been using RH since 4.0, and have never seen a
> release that is anywhere close to this unstable.
>
> I'm rapidly running out of options.  A few more days with this level of
> instability and I'll be going back to 8.0 until 10 has been available
> for a while and appears stable.
>
> I just added "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5" to my .bashrc file.  I'm of
> the impression this will force applications not to use the NPTL
> threading libs.  Any chance this will solve the problem of near-daily
> crashes with RH9?

You can turn off NPTL entirely systemwide by adding the following word

sysinfo

to the end of the kernel load line in your grub or lilo .conf. BTW, most problems of this kind are do to failing hardware/hardware incompatability somehow.

jb