Re: M. Harris: What's your take on the X fork?

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> Keith Packard is quoted as saying that "RH" and Debian were looking for
>> changes in XFree86 that apparently weren't happening. Will this move
>> benefit Red Hat? Are you all in favor of having, now, 2 implementations
>> of X to choose from? (Ala KDE/Gnome, Vim/Emacs, OpenOffice/KOffice/Gnome
>> Office, Sun/Blackdown, Mozilla/Konqueror et cetera ad nauseum. I know
>> I'm leaving off a bunch.) I guess open source development does what it
>> must; sort of a "survival of the fittest," if you will. But it seems to
>> me that the Linux community -- as a whole -- duplicates an awful lot of
>> effort.
>
>IU'm guessing the best way to get Mike's take is read waht he has said:
>http://fontconfig.org/~keithp/teleconference/
>
>He attended all 3 currently listed.
>Not sure if he attended as "Red Hat XFree86 Maintainer" or
>"XFree86 Developer" trhough. After I read the transcripts I may know.

My involvement in the conference calls set up by Keith and Jim,
as well as my involvement in the Xwin project are in the role of
a volunteer X developer whom is interested in the success of the
X Window System and related technologies.

I encourage collaborative community oriented projects such as
Keith's which have goals aimed at improving the X Window System
for the larger community of:

1) Users - everyone out there who is currently using X or who
   might consider doing so if certain things were done to improve
   it and meet their needs.

2) X developers - people working on improving X, including
   XFree86.org developers, driver maintainers outside of
   XFree86.org, people who contribute patches frequently, people
   who maintain X in an OS distribution, and others working on X,
   and XFree86, etc.

3) Integrating technologies - Projects which integrate and
   interoperate with X11 such as GNOME, KDE, GTK+, Qt, window
   manager developers, Mozilla and other browser projects, and
   many other projects which would be considered to be
   interoperative with X

Hope this helps answer your question.

Take care,
TTYL