Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:34:44AM -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> Forgive me for beating a .... however, I am trying to make a decision as to
> whether ES will meet my needs.
>
> My questions, not that it probably matters, is for an educational environment.
> Please correct me if my statements are incorrect.
>
> Just to be clear, without violating any license requirement, I can buy a boxed
> set of ES. I can then reproduce and give my students copies of the binary,
> source, and documentation CDs.

No.  Not all the software on the CDs is freely distributable.

> > The support contract does have limitations, but they only void the
> > support contract, not your right to use the software.
>
> The boxed set will come with a year of RHN which will provide me with security
> and bug updates. I can renew the RHN for $179/year thereafter.

Again, no.  RHEN for ES is $349 year without phone/web support.  WS (the
workstation product) is $179/year.

> > If you want support and update access through RHEN, you must abide
> > by the terms of the agreement. That means paying for every RHEL-
> > WS/ES/AS system you have.
>
> I assume that ES RHN could be configured to store the binary rpm on the
> machine being updated.
>
> Now, are you saying that it would violate the terms of the RHN license for me
> to use something like current, based on the saved rpms, to create my own RHN
> server for my students to use in the lab?

That is correct - it would be a violation of the agreement.

> Where in the lifetime of the enterprise system is the current release (i.e.,
> how soon before a new release will require an upgrade)?

It's on the web site but I don't see after a 30-second peek.  I believe
that 3.0 is targetted for a release sometime this fall, but there is no
charge for the upgrade - your support contract includes all updates, not
just bug fixes.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx