Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:00:12 -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote
> Michael Brown wrote:
> > exactly what you paid for the first year all over again.  With the
> > Enterprise Linux, you are not buying a product, you are buying a year of
> > some level of support and the right to use the software on a single computer
> > for one year.
>
> You are only buying the support. You have the right to use the
> software on as many machines as you want. You have the right to qive
> it to anyone you want. It's GPL. You can even base your own distro
> of it, and sell that.

Forgive me for beating a .... however, I am trying to make a decision as to
whether ES will meet my needs.

My questions, not that it probably matters, is for an educational environment.
Please correct me if my statements are incorrect.

Just to be clear, without violating any license requirement, I can buy a boxed
set of ES. I can then reproduce and give my students copies of the binary,
source, and documentation CDs.

> The support contract does have limitations, but they only void the
> support contract, not your right to use the software.

The boxed set will come with a year of RHN which will provide me with security
and bug updates. I can renew the RHN for $179/year thereafter.

> If you want support and update access through RHEN, you must abide
> by the terms of the agreement. That means paying for every RHEL-
> WS/ES/AS system you have.

I assume that ES RHN could be configured to store the binary rpm on the
machine being updated.

Now, are you saying that it would violate the terms of the RHN license for me
to use something like current, based on the saved rpms, to create my own RHN
server for my students to use in the lab?

Where in the lifetime of the enterprise system is the current release (i.e.,
how soon before a new release will require an upgrade)?

Thank you for your help.

Mike.