Re: pppd not starting

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:17:40AM -0400, J.D. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having difficulty connecting through my modem. This is a system that previously held Red Hat v7.3 and the modem worked fine. I did a fresh install of Red Hat 9. I've verified phone numbers, logins, passwords, etc. and they are all correct.
>
> Using KPPP to dial, the terminal shows the following:
>  In parent: pppd pid 2651
>  Couldn't find interface PPP0: No such device
>  Kernel supports ppp alright
>  Couldn't find interface PPP0: No such device
>  [...repeated several times]
>  It was pppd that died
>  pppd exited with return value 19
>
> Using wvdial I get:
>  The ppp daemon has died: authentication error
>  We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer
>  Maybe bad account or passwrd? (exit code=19)
>
> I see in a terminal that the second it says it's starting pppd it dies. If I set the options in KPPP to use terminal based authorization, I get a small window where I can enter my login/password and it fails with bad password. I don't understand the sudden difficulty as I've verified my login/password under windows on the same machine and it works fine.
>
> Thank you for any help.
>
> --
> J.D.
Ok let us start with kppp.
Click setup and create a new account.
But first check the other tabs.
Device: /dev/modem (/dev/modem soft linked to /dev/ttyS*)
Flow Control: CRTSCTS
Line Termination: CR
Connection Speed: (speed you want to use)
Use lock file and Modem Timeout 60s
 Leave Modem and Graph alone and Misc might be:
 Show Clock on Caption, Disconnect on X-server shutdown and Minimize
 on Connect.

 Now for the account connection itself:
 Dial: connection name and phone number. Authentication - PAP/CHAP
        the rest is up to you.
IP: L:et us say you enter static IP Address of Subnet Mask or Dynamic
address if your ISP supplies that

Gateway: Default gateway. and assign the default route to gateway.
DNS: Domain name and probably DNS address list depending on you ISP
Ignore the rest.
Now as root you can execute kppp and choose the account you created,
type in your name and passwd and you should be in business.
You can execute kppp as a normal user if you make pppd and
/usr/sbin/kppp
SUID root and call kppp /usr/sbin/kppp not /usr/bin/kppp .

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.