pppd not starting

Hello.

I'm having difficulty connecting through my modem. This is a system that previously held Red Hat v7.3 and the modem worked fine. I did a fresh install of Red Hat 9. I've verified phone numbers, logins, passwords, etc. and they are all correct.

Using KPPP to dial, the terminal shows the following:
 In parent: pppd pid 2651
 Couldn't find interface PPP0: No such device
 Kernel supports ppp alright
 Couldn't find interface PPP0: No such device
 [...repeated several times]
 It was pppd that died
 pppd exited with return value 19

Using wvdial I get:
 The ppp daemon has died: authentication error
 We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer
 Maybe bad account or passwrd? (exit code=19)

I see in a terminal that the second it says it's starting pppd it dies. If I set the options in KPPP to use terminal based authorization, I get a small window where I can enter my login/password and it fails with bad password. I don't understand the sudden difficulty as I've verified my login/password under windows on the same machine and it works fine.

Thank you for any help.

--
J.D.