Re: Dual PROC AMD

On Friday, Apr 11, 2003, at 23:46 US/Pacific, Dean Maluski wrote:

The day is near that I'm purchasing a dual proc. motherboard. Reason for
dual proc. is that I have a 39160 64 bit Seagate SCSI board that I want
to get the most of.
I'm looking at buying a Tyan Tiger motherboard with dual AMD
processers. Can anyone recommend if this will be an incompatible
purchase with RH9? Would I be better off getting an INTEL motherboard
and proc setup? I don't own any INTEL CPU's. I've been using strictly
AMD for the last 10+ years but with this purchase I want a machine that
will honk.
Any comments or suggestions welcome.

My personal system is a dual Athlon MP 2000, with a Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard, running Red Hat Linux 9 without any problem to speak of. I've also got a pair of dual Athlon MP 2100s at work now running 9 atop Tyan Tiger MPX boards, no problem.

Both Tyan boards are a bit cantankerous when it comes to attempting to get useful information out of lm_sensors, but they can be made to work (probably not even a sticking point for most people).

One other note though; I'd stay away from the Thunder K7 boards, because they don't use a standard ATX power supply. There are only two mfgs I've found that make a compatible power supply, and they are hard to come by (and not cheap). They're really more designed for server use anyhow (and a rack-mount case). The Tiger boards use a standard ATX power supply though (I'd recommend at least a 450W power supply too). The other board I might recommend is the Asus A7M266-D.
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>