Re: Dual PROC AMD

On Saturday, Apr 12, 2003, at 04:09 US/Pacific, Dean Maluski wrote:

Avoid the TYAN MP2466 like the plague. I hate mine. I'm sure it works well
with Windows, but not Linux.

Bummer, can you elaborate as to why you dislike it. I don't care about
it's winDOZE functionality.
That would have been one of my choices since it has the onboard lan.
I see several versions of the 2468 board on websight I'm planning to
make purchase from. Monarch Computers. I bought my last board from them
and it's been running 24/7 nearly two years with no troubles whatsoever.
I'm looking at this Tyan Thunder K7X S2468GN. It has a 3.3 V 64 bit slot
and a 5 V 64 bit slot. Will have to do my homework to see what the
difference is. I assume my Adaptec 39160 will work in the 5 volt slot.
But now I'm getting off list topic so better stop here.

I've got the Thunder K7 (S2462NG), the earlier version of the board you're looking at. Everything works just fine, but I've taken all the necessary steps. This board is in a case with 7 cooling fans (yeah, it's a bit noisy), the RAM is all ECC DDR RAM (a requirement of the Thunder boards, or at least it is with mine, can't say for sure on the K7X) and the power supply is a non-standard one (coincidentally, purchased from Monarch, which is one of the few places you can get it).

Yes, lm_sensors is difficult to configure, but once you've configured it, no more work necessary, and there is a sample config available from the lm_sensors website. I've got it working just fine on both the Thunder K7 and Tiger MPX (S2466) boards. I can share my configs if anyone likes.

For a personal system, I think I would actually go with a Tiger rather than a Thunder. You can use non-ECC DDR RAM and a standard ATX power supply (both of which save a good chunk of change), unless you really need the dual NICs of the Thunder boards and/or the built-in 4MB Rage Pro graphics controller (I don't think all of them have that, but mine does; I don't use it).

The bottom line here, tying this all back to a relevant thread on a Red Hat list, is that Tyan's boards, while a bit of extra effort may be required, can work quite nicely with Red Hat Linux, but as always, ymmv...
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>