Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On 11 Apr 2003, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:

>Prelink
>
>When I was using RedHat 8, I spied in the release notes a command to run
>to try out prelinking; something like /usr/sbin/prelink --all
>--conserve-memory.  I tried it, got a few errors, and everything
>continued to work fine.  Nothing crashed, no quirks, no missing
>libraries, etc.  It was slow, though.  In fact, it took about three
>times as long to start Mozilla.  I did the same on another RedHat 8
>system with the same results.
>
>(Sorry, I never tried it in 8.1.)

There was never a Red Hat Linux 8.1, so you couldn't have tried
it if you wanted to.  ;o)

>Why oh why does that damned list keep jumping to the top?  Here's the
>annoyance: Start xscreensaver-demo (preferences->screensaver), don't
>click anything except the scrollbar, and scroll down in the list.  Click
>something, and you're automagically teleported to the top of the list.
>(It truly is just an annoyance.  By the way, obsessive compulsives
>around the world thank RedHat immensely for starting GNOME with the
>panel icons all nicely squished together!)  Of course, don't knock
>yourselves out.  It's just a twitch.

That is an annoyance in the stock xscreensaver source code, not
something that we've added, at least to the best of my knowledge.
I do agree it is quite annoying though.  Patches welcome.

>configuration and rebuilding the kernel but to no avail.  I even tried
>downloading and installing an updated ALSA, and even dumping the RH8.1
>ALSA stuff into 8.0, but there are so many incompatibilities that I
>would be best off just installing 8.1.)  9 installed, and when it played

There has never been a Red Hat Linux 8.1 release though, and
we've never shipped ALSA before to the best of my knowledge, so
you couldn't install 8.1.

>8.1 didn't have this problem.

That's right, because there has never been a Red Hat Linux 8.1
release before so it couldn't have had any problems let alone
this one.

>I still choose RH "at the drop of a hat", so to speak.  I'm just curious
>as to why I've had so much more trouble with 9 than I did with 8.1-3.
>(It's nothing sentimental, since 8.1, um, misplaced all my files for
>me.)

Perhaps you're refering to Mandrake 8.1, Slackware 8.1, SuSE 8.1
or some other version 8.1 distribution, because Red Hat has never
had an 8.1 distribution.

7 -> 7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.3 -> 8.0 -> 9

No 8.1.