Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:02 pm, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:

<snip>

> When I was using RedHat 8, I spied in the release notes a command to run
> to try out prelinking; something like /usr/sbin/prelink --all
> --conserve-memory.  I tried it, got a few errors, and everything
> continued to work fine.  Nothing crashed, no quirks, no missing
> libraries, etc.  It was slow, though.  In fact, it took about three
> times as long to start Mozilla.  I did the same on another RedHat 8
> system with the same results.

never tried prelinking myself  so cant help there
not suprised you never tried 8.1  cause it has never existed.

> (Sorry, I never tried it in 8.1.)
>
> I tried the same thing in RedHat 9, and still got the same errors.
> (Please forgive my ignorance.  The error had something to do with, um,
> PIC compliance? and stuff refused to link to it.)  In 9, however, I have
> problems.  Programs (specifically browsers and IM's) freeze and crash
> more often than in Windows.  I end up killing X when it happens, but
> allowing it to log back in doesn't clean it up.  I have to restart.
> (Hope that info helps.)
>
> (Off topic, and probably not RedHat's fault, the Konqueror browser, when
> viewing files in list mode, crashes when an expand-list plus is clicked
> three times before it expands the list.)

Patience is a virtue might sound silly but if you know it happens dont do it,
but file a bug so it can be fixed for those that are impatiant

> Another bug showed up, and I'm not yet sure if it's related.  When I
> boot, it finishes starting atd (I always to an "Everything" install,
> then I trim out what I don't use from the services.) and then it
> stalls.  I press ctrl-alt-del, and let it reboot.  If I go into
> interactive mode and say yes to everything, it works just fine.

i never install more than i need i cherish my hdd space and dont want to waste
it on data i dont need there.

> Samba
>
> On the server, I used the same smb.conf file I have always used.  It's a
> tiny file (our home and business have tiny needs) that basically allows
> printing to one printer, read-only access to a share, and read-write
> access to another share (which just so happens to be physically inside
> the read-only share).  I've never had any trouble out of it, even using
> RH 8.1, but in RH 9, for some reason, the read-write share acts as
> read-only.  I made a new share in another folder with read-write
> ability, and it works just fine.  Is Samba any different between 8.1 and
> 9?

again 8.1?  where did you get this release?  just because the red write share
is in the read only share doesnt matter  the two shares are treated as two
different entities with different permissions.  did you access the directory
by navigating the read only share or via the the seperate read/write entity?
post revelant portions of your smb.conf file  so we can see if it is
something in the conf file

> Probably what I'll end up doing is making another patchwork setup.
> (Unlike many others I hear from on the internet, I *love* RPM.)  I'll
> install 9, then RPM the Samba stuff from 8.1.  (Much easier than
> installing 8.1 and moving specific stuff up to 9, since version
> mismatches show up all over the place.)

<snip>

> ALSA

Red Hat dont supply or support alsa,  i have installed third party alsa
drivers on two machines  one is great the other the oss drivers are much
better alsa  makes all sorts of echos and not so nice sounding noise.

> One of the reasons I was tickled pink about getting RH9 was that it
> supported the newest VIA VT8233 onboard AC'97 sound chips.  8.1 also
> did.  8.0 detected the chips, claimed to install support for them, and
> then wouldn't load the modules.  (I tried playing around with the kernel
> configuration and rebuilding the kernel but to no avail.  I even tried
> downloading and installing an updated ALSA, and even dumping the RH8.1
> ALSA stuff into 8.0, but there are so many incompatibilities that I
> would be best off just installing 8.1.)  9 installed, and when it played
> the test sound, I heard the glorious sound from the left speaker, then
> the right, then both...but with a crackle.  I was worried, but it turned
> out to be a bad chip.  The real problem showed up with no eSound
> support.  Initially, I didn't mind, since I was underwhelmed with
> eSound, but later I discovered how many things needed eSound.  Further,
> for whatever reason, some programs suck up a ton of CPU when playing
> sound through these chips.  (Freecraft made to run on an ARTS enabled
> SDL is a good example.)  Of course, calls to eSound end up with many
> processes trying to send sound through it, and then simply pile up.
> eSound would have been smarter to timeout early instead of never.
>
> 8.1 didn't have this problem.
>
> Mozilla!
>
> (This one's easily identifiable as RH and *not* Mozilla.)

If the tarball produces the same results  how can it be a Red Hat issue?  i
didnt have any issues with moz 1.2.1  but i only had it on for a few days
before i put 1.3 on

> Lastly, and most aggrivatingly, Mozilla's broke.  Well, sorta.  Many
> types of links, especially ones I would click to download, do nothing.
> Even shift-clicking and right-clicking and choosing "save link target"
> do nothing at all.  Oddly ,moving the /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1 folder

<snip>

> Mouse Jumping

is the mouse configured to use the right protocol?  you can get issues like
this if its wrong

> My optical wheel mouse is jumping around.  Specifically, moving the
> mouse to the top right causes it to jump to the bottom left
> (occasionally).  It also sometimes just starts lighting up like a
> lightning bug.  I noticed that someone else had this problem as well.

<snip>