Re: Kernel compile

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 02:44:02PM -0400, Max Z. wrote:
> If I use RH provided source for the kernel to recompile it, will I be able to
> use RH Network binary kernel updates? Will I have to get the source for the
> kernel from RH Network and recompile it? Also, is it possible to patch the
> kernel provided with RH with patches from kernel.org?

First question is why do you want to recompile the kernel?  If you want
to later get binary kernel updates, nothing prevents you from installing
those.  However, whatever changes you made to the kernel configuration
when you compiled it the first time will not be in the binary
RHN-distributed kernel.

You may or may not be able to patch the RH-supplied kernel with patches
from kernel.org.  It depends on the patch and the interactions between
the patches that Red Hat has done and the official kernel.  If you do
try it, you get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.  If you're
applying kernel patches, though, you should know what you're doing
first.  If it's a specific kernel patch you're concerned about and a
specific RH kernel, post the details to the linux-kernel mailing list
and hope you get a good answer.  You may get some feedback from people
like Alan Cox telling you why you should or should not apply the patch.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx