Re: Network install

On 4/9/2003 10:52 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 10:31, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
>>It's 3.5M (while the full CD1 is 638M) so it will fit on the small, card
>>sized CDs. It's also easier to modify and rebuild that all of CD1,but
>>faster than floppies. Sounds good for kickstart, since most NICs today
>>are not bootable, and PXE is not real common (none of the 20 machines I
>>use support it. The new file server might though)
>

> unlucky for you.  we require that our hardware be PXE boot capable.  Mostly
> that involves just putting in a Intel network card, but since most our
> systemboards have intel chips built in, PXE is happening all over the place.
> I recently created a PXE/Kickstart server, complete w/ a menu that the
> install tech is presented w/ upon PXE boot, so all they have to type is the
> type of kickstart they want to perform.  "rm" for rackmount server, "ws" for
> workstation, "small" for tiny partitions spread across the disks, and small
> install, only enough to run ctcs burnin.  If they type nothing for 30
> seconds, it'll default to "local" which has the system boot off the local
> harddrive.
>
> It's a very slick system.

You wouldn't happen to have documentation or a HOW-TO that you'd be willing
to share for this? Most specifically the menu portion. Previously I was
using separate floppies with the ks.cfg script locally. While this worked,
it was a pain to maintain 4 different floppies (2 for RH 7.3, 2 for RH 8.0,
one for small drives, one for larger drives). I'd love to consolidate this
to some degree.

-Rick
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.