Re: Network install

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 10:31, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> It's 3.5M (while the full CD1 is 638M) so it will fit on the small, card
> sized CDs. It's also easier to modify and rebuild that all of CD1,but
> faster than floppies. Sounds good for kickstart, since most NICs today
> are not bootable, and PXE is not real common (none of the 20 machines I
> use support it. The new file server might though)

unlucky for you.  we require that our hardware be PXE boot capable.  Mostly
that involves just putting in a Intel network card, but since most our
systemboards have intel chips built in, PXE is happening all over the place.
I recently created a PXE/Kickstart server, complete w/ a menu that the
install tech is presented w/ upon PXE boot, so all they have to type is the
type of kickstart they want to perform.  "rm" for rackmount server, "ws" for
workstation, "small" for tiny partitions spread across the disks, and small
install, only enough to run ctcs burnin.  If they type nothing for 30
seconds, it'll default to "local" which has the system boot off the local
harddrive.

It's a very slick system.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE