Re: Changing reolustion without X

Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Ossama Khayaat wrote:

I'll try to advise you once you've posted this info somewhere. Hopefully we can get you up and running.

Actually, I think I'll try to give more details about what's happening:
* First of all, the PCs are Compaq Evo desktop PCs with an Intel 845 dispaly, and we have RH Linux 8.0 installed and running successfully or all the machines with no problems at all.

Intel i845 video hardware is not supported by Red Hat Linux 8.0. Red Hat Linux 9 is the first release to support this hardware.

Recommended solution: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9

Well, that's a very nice suggestion, but actually, like I mentioned yesterday that other PCs of same hardware configuration are working fine. I face the same problem today and was confused what to do. So, I just took the /etc/X11/XF86Config file from another machine in the class and copied it to the system and voila!!! It's working find *without* upgrade.
I suppose the version of redhat-config-xfree86 that was shipped with RHL 8.0 is the problem!
Also, with all respect, but there should be an easier solution other than just *upgrade*.

Thanks all for you help.

Ossama Khayat