Re: problem with redhat-config-xfree86

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> Evidently the problem is Nvidia drivers can't be probed. In our case
>> upgrading the Nvidia drivers made it work,
>> I don't know if this is officially a bug.
>
>Were you trying to use rh-cfg-cf with the NVIDIA drivers?
>
>That'd be a bug, but with NVIDIA, not Red Hat.
>
>The supplied XF86 driver, nv, should be used by the config tool. I doubt
>Red Hat will support configuring 3rd party drivers any time soon.
>If the card is supposed to work with the nv driver, and rh-cfg-f doesn't
>set it up that's a bug for Red Hat.

Correct.  redhat-config-xfree86 supports configuration of
video hardware using the drivers supplied with the distribution
only.  3rd party drivers and add on drivers not supplied by Red
Hat as part of the distribution are not supported.

The config tool takes the PCI ID of the hardware and looks it up
in a list of all known PCI hardware (pcitable).  This table then
has listed for each known supported piece of hardware a mapping
from the PCI ID of that hardware, to the driver which supports
that hardware.

For video hardware, each known PCI ID points to an XFree86 video
driver which ships with the distribution, or it points to the
vesa driver if the card is unsupported but known to work
partially or fully with the vesa driver.

It is not possible to have the pcitable point to 2 or more
drivers for one piece of hardware with the current
infrastructure.