Re: Changing reolustion without X

Ossama Khayaat wrote:
Mike A. Harris wrote:
Intel i845 video hardware is not supported by Red Hat Linux 8.0. Red Hat Linux 9 is the first release to support this hardware.

Recommended solution: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9

Well, that's a very nice suggestion, but actually, like I mentioned yesterday that other PCs of same hardware configuration are working fine. I face the same problem today and was confused what to do. So, I just took the /etc/X11/XF86Config file from another machine in the class and copied it to the system and voila!!! It's working find *without* upgrade.

Quite possibly. You could try the newer redhat-config-xfree86. You might have some dependency problems though.

I suppose the version of redhat-config-xfree86 that was shipped with RHL 8.0 is the problem!
Also, with all respect, but there should be an easier solution other than just *upgrade*.

Upgrades are easy. An with linux they are usually available for free/little cost.

There are other ways, but Red Hat, the company, doesn't support them.

You could,for example, get the srpms for the kernel, redhat-config-xfree86, and XFree86. Rebuild them on the RHL8 machine, and it will probably work. rh-cfg-xf might be problematic, I don't know the python issues and other Red Hat python modules well enought to say.

But I do have a RHL8 based system, with XF86-4.3 and the the newer kernel. X is working fine (though NPTL is somewhat unstable. boot with nosysinfo seams to resolve that) on that system, along with severl newer GNOME packages. However, Red Hat doesn't support that system. When it breaks I get to keep the pieces, ocasionally trying to put them back together.

-Thomas