Re: Tough Filesystem

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 20:38, David Sudjiman wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm about to replace my NT2000 data center to RH9 (not yet, still DL-ing). I
> read about ext3 vs reiserfs but still can't make up my mind on which one I
> should use? All I care is about data safety not performance since this will
> not act as a networked data center.
>
> It is a PC with 1 SCSI interface for two HD (2x36GB mirrored by NT), can I
> use Linux mirror (how?) or I better rely on my SCSI mirror? (how?). The
> problem is always about the HD, it is doing chkdsk every time I restart and
> notify that one or more file was broken.

What SCSI RAID controller do you have?  It depends on the controller
whether SCSI RAID or Linux software RAID is better.

> I need a good and tough Linux Filesystem, any recommendation or perhaps URL
> and howtos?
>
> thx for your help
> ..dave

Use ext3.  It is very reliable in Red Hat Linux, while reiserfs is not
officially supported.  If you use ext3 you should not have many long
fsck (Linux' chkdsk equivalent) even after an improper shutdown because
of the filesystem journal.  Saves much time.

Warren Togami
warren@xxxxxxxxxx