Re: Changing reolustion without X

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 10:38, Ossama Khayaat wrote:

> * First of all, the PCs are Compaq Evo desktop PCs with an Intel 845
> dispaly, and we have RH Linux 8.0 installed and running successfully or
> all the machines with no problems at all.
> * After one of the students finished the installation, he chose a high
> resolution (1024x768) that cannot be displayed by the monitor we have in
> the class (14" monitors), and he *didn't test* it.
> * After he restarted the PC and tried to login, ofcourse the screen was
> just unviewable.
> * I tried to run redhat-config-xfree86 without any options, and ofcourse
> it attempts to run X, in which I cannot do anything.

As I commented you in a previous message, I had he same scenario under
Red Hat Linux 8.0 some months ago. Now you confirm my suspicious even
more, because the computer I was running had an Intel 845 on-board video
card.

I tried to run redhat-config-xfree86 and the program couldn't set the
right resolutions. After playing a lot with parameters (and *looking* at
logfiles) I realized that the error was due I had a Spanish keyboard set
up, instead an English one.

I switched to English keyboard (in text mode, via "setup") and voilà!
redhat-config-xfree86 worked like a charm.

I don't have the RHL 8.0 box anymore to test it, but you probably could
take a look on that.

Alex.

--
¡Sé libre, usa software libre!