Strange colored "halo" around text with ATI Radeon 7500

I'v been running RH8 on my laptop without problems since it came out with an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 32MB.

I just bought the RH9 box yesterday and installed it on another partition of the same machine. Install went fine, detected the card and X loads fine. I know the X in RH9 was upgraded to 4.3.

However, graphically rendered text in every application appears with a faint red, yellow, or blue shadow or halo around it. This happens in mozilla, menus, etc., but NOT in a standard xterm where the text appears normal.

OK, before anyone suggests it was the odd looking mushrooms growing in my backyard, I don't think so, besides, that was long time ago.

I've tried switching color depth from 16-bit to 24-bit and back, same problem. I've tried different window managers, same problem. I am getting about 250 extra FPS in glxgears with X4.3 so I don't want to go back to RH8, but it is hard looking at the Magical Mystery Tour on my screen all day.

Does anyone else have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 with or without this issue?

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe