Re: SpamAssassin

On Monday, Apr 7, 2003, at 08:13 US/Pacific, Mike Chambers wrote:

Subject: Re: Spamassassin
From: Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RedHat - Shrike <Shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Apr 2003 08:47:20 -0500

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 08:38, D. D. Brierton wrote:

Yeah, I too have read the man pages for spamassassin, spamd and spamc,
plus the docs in /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-2.44 and sadly there is
little there to help with setting it up for the first time. Simply
starting it at boot is NOT enough to enable spam filtering. You have to
get it to interact with something: either you can call spamc via a
filter in your MUA (mail user agent, i.e. whatever you use to read your
mail) or you get it to interact with your MTA (mail transport agent),
e.g. sendmail, postfix, or procmail.

Well, I need mine to interact with sendmail, that way it won't matter what client/workstation I use, internal or external, windows or linux.

I can filter via whichever client I am using, once I get the emails to
the client.

I'm currently using SpamAssassin quite successfully with sendmail. The key here is that you also need to have procmail installed, and call SpamAssassin from a procmail recipe.

I highly recommend reading over the docs at spamassassin.org. There is a default .procmailrc file you can basically just drop in your home directory (or into /etc/procmailrc to make it global) that will make sure SpamAssassin gets called. You also have to set up a SpamAssassin config file.

My .procmailrc:

:0fw
* < 256000
|/usr/local/bin/spamassassin -P -p /home/jcw/.spamassassin/user_prefs

:0 H
mail/Trash

It only scans messages smaller than 250K, and moves them to my Trash folder if they come back marked as spam.

That ought to get you pointed in the right direction... I'm actually using the latest stable version of spamassassin, v2.53 (at least it the latest a few days ago), which includes Bayesian filtering, but the above should work for the version that comes w/RHL9 also.
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>