Re: Spamassassin

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 13:46, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Is anyone using this?  Is there more to installing and just starting the
> daemon to work?  As in, a config file to modify it or anything?  Or does
> it just start working and checks the emails that come into the server
> (no matter how you retreive them, via pop, imap, etc)?
>
> Yes, I have read the man page for it, but it's not too detailed that I
> can see.

Yeah, I too have read the man pages for spamassassin, spamd and spamc,
plus the docs in /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-2.44 and sadly there is
little there to help with setting it up for the first time. Simply
starting it at boot is NOT enough to enable spam filtering. You have to
get it to interact with something: either you can call spamc via a
filter in your MUA (mail user agent, i.e. whatever you use to read your
mail) or you get it to interact with your MTA (mail transport agent),
e.g. sendmail, postfix, or procmail.

Personally, I use fetchmail to pull my mail from various places and give
it to postfix. I then use Evolution for filtering. I really don't want
to introduce procmail into the mix if I can help it, so it seems my
choices are either to have postfix interact with spamassassin or have
evolution interact with it. In either case I'd like to enable the
Bayesian spam identification which presumably  requires the creation of
a spam and a notspam mail address to bounce or redirect wrongly
identified messages to.

If anyone out there has some simple recipes for just getting started
with either of the scenarios I mentioned (postfix/spamassassin or
evolution/spamassassin both with Bayesian spam identification) I'd
really be interested in hearing about them.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com