Re: CD Burning still a losing proposition

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Audioslave - 7M3 - Live (creed7m3live@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:

Guessing anyway, these cd burners use the ide-scsi module, which was modified to allow multiple drivers, if my understanding is correct, with my reading. This feauture, in my assumption, allows magicdev to interrupt the device,using the scd mount point. Which is currently accessed, using the sg driver.

Nope. There's locking code in Red Hat Linux 9 that prevents magicdev
from accessing the device while cdrecord is writing to it.

Bill

It sounds like a good move. I'll have to try out the burning on shrike then. I will try out the locking feature tomorrow. I don't have a completely RH 9 system yet. Just bits and pieces. (erratta, kernel and major programs.)

I think that locking down magicdev will prevent the interruptions, that I've been experiencing with my burned discs.

During a media check for phoebe3 disc1. I got the below repeated, with the only difference being the sector number. The next sector number is below the listed output.

(4) hdc: command error: status = 0x51 {Drive Ready Seek Complete Error}
(4) hdc: command error: status = 0x51 {Drive Ready Seek Complete Error}
(4) endrequest: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1297600

The other error, that I experienced was below. I had this error present on both the 7.3 burned disc and the phoebe burned CDR. It happened after the installation program was launched.

(6) application error.

I hope the application error was only a problem within the setup program, for phoebe3. I'd like to put the 7.3 system to sleep again.

Thanks for the info about magicdev. (The little troublemaker.)

Jim C.

-- Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion. -- Corwin, Prince of Amber