Re: CD Burning still a losing proposition

Michael Knepher wrote:
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 14:31, Matt Wilson wrote:

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:19:40AM -0800, Michael Knepher wrote:

I've killed and removed magicdev, and turned DMA on/off. Nothing seems
to make a difference.

My system: K6-2 450, VIA MVP-4 chipset with integrated video/audio,
384MB RAM, Sony CRX120E burner (4x8x2x).

How do you have your devices set up on your IDE busses? Do you have anything sharing the bus with the burner? If so, what?

I've got two hard drives on the primary controller (Shrike upgraded from 8.0 on the master, Phoebe3 on the slave), and the burner is secondary master, with nothing else on the secondary controller. For complete disclosure, I usually burn files off of an nfs-mounted share, though I have the same problems when I try to burn local files. And, as I said, I never had any problems under 8.0, which I might need to reinstall on my second drive for burning purposes in the short term (assuming this bug can be identified and fixed).

I feel the problem started back with 7.3 to 8.0. I use the 7.3 for burning discs, until the CDR problem is corrected.

I use my laptop reader, audio cds and problems encountered on an XP event log, to gauge the CDR problem. They all yeild less than desirable CDR discs.

8.0 burned fair CDR's. But none that were error free. (Or at least detectable.)

On my Athlon 1800+/TDK VeloCD 16x burner system at home, I did get the
bus reset error on occasion under Phoebe, but not every time like I have
on this system at work (I burned two sets of the Shrike binary iso's on
the home system with the reset error occurring only once in 6 burns -
burning random files to a cd-rw under Shrike on the same system had no
errors).

BTW, I tried adding a comment to bug #84160 on bugzilla and kept getting
an error that I wasn't allowed to change the component for the bug from
AfterStep-something to kernel.

How did it get filed under After-step? Anyway, it sounds like either the ide-scsi module or the programs that deal with burning CDRs.

Jim

-- Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion. -- Corwin, Prince of Amber