Re: pcmcia problems with shrike on sony vaio r505tl

referring to /etc/init.d/pcmcia:

On 4 Apr 2003, Joshua Legbandt wrote:

> My apologies, look for this section:
>             if [ -d $PC ] ; then
>                 echo -n " modules"
>                 /sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core.o $CORE_OPTS
>                 /sbin/modprobe $PCIC.o $PCIC_OPTS
>                 /sbin/modprobe ds.o
>             elif [ -d $KD ] ; then
>                 /sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core
>                 /sbin/modprobe $PCIC
>                 /sbin/modprobe ds
>             else
>                 echo $" module directory $PC not found."
>                 break
>             fi
>
> and remove the '.o' from the top section (I think, I added the .o back
> in), I should have said pcmcia_core, $PCIC and ds...

ok, there is an obvious flaw there as you point out -- modprobe does
not work with the filenames themselves that end with .o, only the
module name, as in "modprobe ds", as you so astutely observed.
argh.  that's sure *seems* to be a bug.

but it also explains another curiosity that puzzled me.  the
variables above represent

  PC:  /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/pcmcia 		"pcmcia" directory
  KD:  /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/pcmcia

as shipped from RH, shrike has no $PC directory, so the fallback
is to use the $KD directory, and everything works.

however, building a new kernel and doing "make modules_install"
not only creates a new /lib/modules directory, but also creates
within it a $PC directory with nothing but symlinks to the
actual module files under $KD.

potentially convenient, but given the atartup script above,
pretty much guaranteed to fail.

at least, that's what it looks like.

rday

p.s.  is there any possible rationale for the former set of
modprobe calls to refer to files with ".o" suffixes?  or is
that just flat out a bug?