install over existing logical volumes?

  for several releases now, i've moved up to the next release
by just installing over top of the existing partitions, keeping
them and their mount points, leaving things like /home unformatted,
and restoring a few critical files like /etc/{passwd,group,shadow},
that sort of thing.

  can i do the same thing with logical volumes?  will the install
program recognize my current LVM configuration and let me preserve
what i want?

rday