Answer to the old bandwidth problem... (aka Downloading ISOs fromRHN)

Remember that old bandwidth problem from networking class where you
calculated if it was faster to FTP a file across the street or just get
up from your computer and walk a CD across via "sneakernet"? Well, I
tried this exercise for real with Red Hat 9.

After a *LOT* of work trying to download ISOs using everything I could
find, I also decided to order it from Amazon with express delivery. I
planned to do that anyway because I wanted to show the actual box to my
Linux class tonight, as well as install it with my students. OK - I also
wanted the hard copy manuals and the cool stickers! :)

In my case, the download from RHN was faster, but just barely. I just
finished upgrading my system with newly burned CDs. I pulled an
all-nighter to get it done. According to the package tracking
application from Amazon (FedEx), my shrink-wrap boxed set will be here
in a couple of hours...

At least my system is up and stable. So far, I'm impressed.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,