Re: Reinstall system option?

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 07:47:50PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ed Wilts (ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > What am I missing here?  Am I assuming that re-install should do a lot
> > more than it does?
>
> Reinstall just goes through the normal install path; it doesn't actually
> use any of the previous installation information. It's just labeled
> as 'reinstall', as there already is a install on the machine.

Shucks.  I would have hoped that it would use all the existing partition
information and mount points and then format those that it absolutely
needed to format (eg, if /home is a separate partition, leave it alone).
This option would allow for a significantly faster install, even if all
the partition stuff is set up as defaults with the existing option to
override it all.  For some strange reason, it takes me almost as long to
through the partitioning phase as it does to do the rest of the install.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx