aborting command due to timeout - HANG

Hello psyche-list,

I've been having some problems lately with my RH 8.0 ThinkPad 770ED.
It is up to date with all patches, except for the kernel. I'm still
running 2.4.18-27.8.0, because all the later kernels I've tried fail
to recognize my PCMCIA Ethernet / Modem card. But, that's another
story for another message (to which I've never received a solution).

The problem now seems to be related to accessing my TDK CDRW161040X
that sits in the docking station. Things will go along just fine for
quite a while. I can generally create several CD-R discs with no
problem. In general, I try to do a comparison between what's on the HD
and what got written to the CD-R, reading it back in the same drive.
Before doing this, it appears to be critical that the disc be
physically ejected before being mounted for reading.

Every now and then (often enough to be very irritating), while the
read-back comparison is being done, the system jumps off the rails,
stops responding to network I/O, stops all disk activity, and requires
a power cycle to get it back.

On one recent occurrence, the following two lines were entered into
the /var/log/messages:

[date] rwh kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 80100,
scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 00 b3 b0 00 00 3f 00
[date] rwh kernel: hdc: timeout waiting for DMA.

Looking back through my older /var/log/messages.* files, I find
several more messages such as these, and also a few messages like:

[date] rwh kernel: ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func
only: 14
[date] rwh kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

Doing "hdparm -I /dev/hdc" yields:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
      Model Number:          TDK  CDRW161040X
      Serial Number:
      Firmware Revision:     5.29
Standards:
      Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
      DRQ response: 3ms.
      Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
      LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
      Buffer size: 1024.0kB
      DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
           Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
      PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
           Cycle time: no flow control=383ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

I'm at a loss. I have not (knowingly) changed my CD-R drive, firmware,
driver, parameters, or method of use since well before these problems
started cropping up.

I suppose that since the messages appear to all be related to DMA
timeouts, if I were to *not* allow the CD-R drive to DMA, things might
become stable again. However, that sounds to me like it would slow
things down a fair amount, and would not explain why it decided to
start happening "all of a sudden".

Any ideas, fixes, configuration tweaks, etc. would be appreciated!

Ron.