Re: is there a fix for "Too many levels of symbolic links"

On 17:47 29 Sep 2003, John Eismeier <jeismeie@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| we commonly use use many symbolic links in Solaris.  In RH 7.1, 8.0 and
| 9.0 we see a limit to the depth of links.

Oh, there's a limit on Solaris too. It's just bigger.

| Can someone suggest how to
| work around this limit to help with our port from Solaris?
| Attached is a tar file with links and directories that demonstrates
| what we ran into.  Just cd to directory d6 to see the limit.
[...]
| total 0
| lrwxrwxrwx    1 jeismeie psclib         13 Sep 29 17:14 mytestfile -> ../mytestfile

Make all the symlinks point directly to the final file.
i.e. the lower ones should look like:

	../../../../mytestfile

as suits. Any reason these can't be hardlinks instead of symbolic links?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Sorry, but at DoD minimum speed it is impossible to speak. There is just
too much wind noise.  At that speed I am spending all my concentration
allowance on riding, and cannot afford anymore thought for words.
However, when I finish a ride and the bike is in the garage cooling down,
the single word that comes to mind is:
    BEER.
        - Jack Tavares, tavares@balrog, DoD#0570