From: psyche-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:psyche-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Charles Curley
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 10:33 AM
To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MD5 checksum server OS check

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:39:42AM -0400, help@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> OK the gpg key and the MD5SUM file, do I download these from the RH site,
> or do they already come on my RH 8 distribution disks?  WHere on disk or
> site would they be located?  Or is the MD5SUM file the actual file that
> I am testing against the distribution disks?

In future, please reply below the text to which you are responding. It
is easier to read, so a courtesy to your readers.

You get the md5 sums in the file MD5SUMS, which is in the same
direcotry from which you FTP the ISO images of the CD-ROMs. See
http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html for details.

The file MD5SUMS is signed; that key is in the root directory of each
CD, and after installation it is in multiple files on the
computer. See, e.g.: /usr/share/doc/redhat-release-8.0/RPM-GPG-KEY.

> I read at http://userpages.umbc.edu/~mabzug1/cs/md5/md5.html that MD5
> is a more reliable way to test data integrity, if I do MD5 checks is
> a checksum test redundant?

Yes. Md5sums are checksums takes with a specific algorithm so that the
program operates identically regarless of processor and other issues.