Shutdown/reboot problems

I have installed RedHat v8.0 on my Sony VAIO laptop (model PCG-GRZ610).
Every time I shutdown or re-boot, I get the message "No more processes
left in this runlevel" and the computer just hangs.  This originally
happened with the stock Red Hat kernel.  This laptop has acpi and
apparently does not support APM, I thought that might be the problem so
I downloaded the 2.4.22 kernel, configured ACPI and removed APM, no
luck (though I now have the battery monitor working:-)).

I tried booting into single user mode, shutting down everything I could
and managed to remove all of the kernel modules by hand and tried to
shutdown, same problem.  I heard somewhere that there were some problems
in the USB drivers at some point, so I tried rebuilding the kernel
without them, this did no good either.

The system boots pretty cleanly, dmesg doesn't reveal anything
suspicious.  The only other problem I had with it was kudzu.  It caused
the system to hang on bringing up lo0, and, I think, on the pcmcia
startup at boot time.  I have since removed the kudzu startup and
shutdown scripts, and the system boots fine.

I'm fresh out of ideas, if anyone else has some, I'd appreciate it

Thanks,
Ted.