make menuconfig

Hi all

I installed RH8 on one of my test machines. I have downloaded the source files for kernel 2.4-19 and patched the kernel to support bridging between the 2 NIC cards of the machine and firewalling at layer 2, as in the howto: bridge+firewall on www.tldp.org. My problem is that once the kernel files are patched accordingly, I need to configure the kernel before building it. Usually you do this by make menuconfig (as it is explained in the howto) however when I do this it returns: Ncurses library not found. I installed all ncurses packages from the RH CDs, however to no avail. Is there somebody who can help?

Regards,
Gilbert