RE: how to use X11 forwarding

What was assumed is that an X server is running on the Windows box.  You
can use VNC and probably sidestep X forwarding (in this case, the remote
program would run X locally on the Linux box and VNC would forward
through ssh).  But since this would not be X11 forwarding, it doesn't
directly address the question.

X is client/server.  X applications have to be told where to send their
output and where to read their input.  If you log in on a local graphics
console (or log in and then start a graphics console), the default
should be the local X server.  This makes everything work like a windows
box.  Turn on the machine, get a graphics login prompt, log in and get a
desktop, start a graphics application and it creates a window on your
desktop.  But it isn't doing it the way windows does.  Windows doesn't
have any concept of a I/O server - it assumes a graphics console -
unless you pay extra for some relocation package.  I think Win2K server
came with the ability to remote connect a desktop window.

X always uses a server.  It just doesn't always use a remote server.  I
have eXceed on my XP box.  I use putty.  I can log into my Linux servers
with putty and start graphical programs like 'up2date' and they will pop
up a window on my PC just like they do on the linux desktop.  Putty
redirects the X stuff through the ssh tunnel set up during the initial
login.  I am using X11 forwarding to encrypt everything between my X
client and server. At home on my own net, its almost the same if I use X
on my laptop or just hit the KVM switch and  use the Linux console.  But
the encryption of X forwarding means I can use X remotely across the
Internet if I want without giving away the farm security-wise.  I open
up port 22 on my firewall to the machine(s) I want to log into and I can
take my XP laptop with my eXceed X server and DSA keys on the road and
connect in to my home systems the same way from anywhere.  Try to do
that with a KVM switch.

VNC is another way of doing something similar but I think it would be
more complicated to tunnel.  Should be still possible.  X11 has the
advantage of native support in Openssh.

Hattie Rouge.