Re: OT: Why I use an MTA at home

Doug B wrote:
In the thread: Complaint about change in spam.... I saw some comments about using only your ISP's smtp server for email. I don't, partly for the same reasons I chose Linux in the first place... freedom of choice,

I've read your rant, and the only thing it convinced me of is that you don't understand that you can use your ISP's SMTP server to route your outbound mail without giving up the MTA you use for everything else.

Freedom of choice is good, but remember that it's good for everyone. email admins are increasingly turning to RBL's to block unsolicited email. The peer-to-peer nature of the internet only really works if peers stay in the same spot. Dial-ups don't, and it's reasonable to refuse mail from them. As long as you have a route by which you can deliver mail, it's not reasonable for you to demand that everyone else not pursue these measures to eliminate unwanted email. Their choice.

Your ISP provides a router for your IP packets, and an MX for your SMTP messages, even if you only use it for outbound service. Your outbound messages will be delivered if you route them properly. Your choice...