Re: Rsync

Joe D. Trent wrote:

I have RH 8.0 loaded on a machine to be used as an emergency backup. It's on the local network and I can access it through telnet, ftp, and http. I'm trying to get rsync to work so that I can sync the files on some interval from our main accounting machine. I've gone into services and enabled rsync, but after restart I don't see rsyncd listed from a 'ps auwx'.

You won't. rsync is run out of inetd, so it's only running when someone's connected.

I've tried
enabling some things I thought might be related like nfs, rlogin, and samba.
Also don't have a /etc/rsyncd.conf file.

I'd suggest that you turn all of that off, and just use rsync over ssh. It's much easier to set up that way. All you need to do is create an ssh key with no passphrase on the machine that wants a copy of the files, and put the public key into the authorized_keys file on the server that has the files you want.

When you want to sync, on the client, you'd:

rsync -av -e "ssh -i id-key-file" server.example.com:/path /local/path

And if you're going for really secure, you'd tie that ssh key directly to the ssh command, so that if it were compromised, it could not be used for any purpose other than reading the data from the server. To do that, put the key file in the authorized_keys file, starting with the rsync command:

command="rsync --server --sender -vlogDtpr . /path" ssh-rsa AAAA...

Nothing changes on the client. You run the same command; the only difference is that the server can *only* sync the directory that you specified in the "command" (and its subdirs), and the ssh key is not useful for anything else.