Re: Rsync

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Joe D. Trent wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have RH 8.0 loaded on a machine to be used as an emergency backup. It's on
> the local network and I can access it through telnet, ftp, and http. I'm
> trying to get rsync to work so that I can sync the files on some interval
> from our main accounting machine. I've gone into services and enabled rsync,
> but after restart I don't see rsyncd listed from a 'ps auwx'. I've tried
> enabling some things I thought might be related like nfs, rlogin, and samba.
> Also don't have a /etc/rsyncd.conf file.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe maybe not!! First you do not _need_ rsyncd running on either machine
for what you are trying to do. You can do it that way but you do not need to.
IOW it is harder. All you need is rsync installed on both machines and either
a working rsh, or ssh on BOTH machines. If you have ssh and rsync on both
machines the easiest thing to do is:
# rsync -av -e ssh source_machine:/path/to/the/data/ /destination

The other thing you can do is setup nfs and autofs and that will allow you
to do:
# rsync -av /path/to/the/data/ /destination. Either of these work
which one you choose depends entirely on what you are comfortable with.

Note the trailing / on the source path. It is important. Make sure you put
it there or rsync will not do what you expect (most likely). man rsync for more
info.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....