Re: Compiling problems

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 01:28 am, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> > > Anyone else having problems compiling things under Psyche?
> > >
> > > I installed RH8 on two computers from the Web download CDs.
> > >
> > > I chose "Development" and "Kernel Development" in the package group
>
> selection on both machines.
>
> > > But the kernel won't compile.  To be more exact, it has many many
> > > errors
>
> while compiling the modules.  I just left the config as-is so I could
> do a test-compile before doing any customizing.  Wouldn't finish.  So I
> began disabling modules, one after another, and then trying to compile
> again.  I gave up after I had done this for 20 modules and it still
> wouldn't finish.
>
> > Well, since RH8 was the first RH release with unicode as the default
> > locale, that would be the first place to look for a reason.
> >
> > You can test this out by doing:
> >
> > unset LANG ; make ......
> >
> > which should force the locale to C for the compile as it is on RH
> > 7.x. If that works, you can change the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file to
> > suit your tastes re. expunging unicode.
>
> Ah - nasty - still didn't work, and it sounded like such a good idea
> too...

I haven't followed this thread, sorry for jumping in late.

You ran make mrproper when you tried building on the 7.3 machine.
Did you try it on the 8.0 machine as well?

I've seen similar failures while building modules if make mrproper is
skipped after installing the kernel source.

I'd try:
make mrproper
copy your config to .config
make oldconfig (or config, menuconfig, etc.)
make dep && make bzImage && make modules

- --
- -Michael

- --