Re: Compiling problems

> > Anyone else having problems compiling things under Psyche?
> >
> > I installed RH8 on two computers from the Web download CDs.
> >
> > I chose "Development" and "Kernel Development" in the package group
selection on both machines.

> > But the kernel won't compile.  To be more exact, it has many many errors
while compiling the modules.  I just left the config as-is so I could do a
test-compile before doing any customizing.  Wouldn't finish.  So I began
disabling modules, one after another, and then trying to compile again.  I
gave up after I had done this for 20 modules and it still wouldn't finish.

> Well, since RH8 was the first RH release with unicode as the default
> locale, that would be the first place to look for a reason.
>
> You can test this out by doing:
>
> unset LANG ; make ......
>
> which should force the locale to C for the compile as it is on RH 7.x.
> If that works, you can change the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file to suit
> your tastes re. expunging unicode.

Ah - nasty - still didn't work, and it sounded like such a good idea too...