On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 06:13 AM 4/23/2003 +0800, you wrote:
> >IMHO, the RBL is an attempt at spam control that discriminates against a
> >group of people based on their circumstances.
> >
> >Hummm...but this is all OT isn't it?
>
> I think it's very much on-topic. Most Red Hat users want to reduce the spam
> they receive and don't want to get on any blacklists themselves, so by
> definition it is a topic of interest to many in this community.

I'm suggesting it is OT since I feel that the "psyche", "valhalla",
"shrike", etc. lists are for discussion of problems related to those
distributions.  There is a generic RH list that may be more appropriate.

> Do you mean the RBL lists (where supposedly you get blacklisted by sending
> spam), or do you mean a DUL list (where all dialup lines are blacklisted)?
> In theory a good RBL list (which not only is amenable to blocking people
> but also to UNblocking them) should not be that bad a thing.

Maybe both?  :-)  Both have the ability to block entire networks....and do
so.

> Still, I prefer SpamAssassin's approach of analyzing the subject and
> headers and even body text looking for clues, adding points, and
> marking/deleting (at user's choice) anything exceeding a certain score.
> Seems like pretty much the best approach out there today.

I tend to agree.  Of course that is hit/miss and a never ending battle.  A
fairly good non-technical article can be viewed at....

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/22/technology/22SPAM.html

What I dislike (I have stronger words) is the guilt by association
associated with the RBL's and the DUL's or whatever acronym is in use
today.  It is like saying "I saw a (insert ethnic group) man robbing a
7-11.  I think all (same ethnic group) are bad people".

Regards,
Ed

--
http://webcams.greshko.com/  Do you know this man, Peter Boeni?