At 07:21 PM 4/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 18:13, Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yes, and one has to ask what is the criteria for "blacklisting".  I
> suspect that it is either  based on the fact that my dynamic IP address
> doesn't pass the double reverse DNS lookup test or the fact that my
> dynamic IP address is on a range of known DHCP addresses that happen to be
> in Taiwan.

        Oh, that explains it right there.  I'm guessing you're on one of the
209 or 210 or 211 networks.  There's a LOT of systems that just block
those Class A addresses entirely.  It's not fair and it's not "right"
but it's the way it is.

<groan> Oh, my God, are you on one of THOSE? Man, I feel for you.

I ran some statistics once on our mail server (roughly 75 domains and 800 users among 30 customers), and found that over 92% of our attacks (worms, portscans, probes, etc.) came from one of those three networks (209, 210, 211), along with 87% of our spam. Jesus. My partner polled our clients (mostly Central American and East Coast USA) and it turned out none had clients/suppliers/ties to the Far East, so by popular demand 209/10/11 got blocked at the firewall and peace descended upon us.

I'll unblock those and some others once I figure out how to:

 * Do basic spam/virus checking (for really obvious stuff) for all users
 * Set up stronger/stricter spam/virus checking on a per-user basis
 * Allow individual users on my server to choose whether/not to use those

I would rather not create blocks like that, but sheesh... there is a very, very real problem out there. Whosoever writes a good HOWTO on sendmail/spamassasin/some-antivirus (or postfix/spamassasin/some-antivirus) is going to earn my everlasting gratitude.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx