Re: Configuring NE2000 Clone Card

Joe,

After a little thought, it seemed to me that I gave you incomplete (if not incorrect) information. So, I went back and checked properly.

The /etc/sysconfig/hwconf fragment that I sent was from a RH 7.3. That might have been an error, but wasn't. I got lucky this time and my foot did not end up in my mouth.<g>

I pulled the 100/base-T card out of one of my RH 8.0 "test bench clunkers" and put in a D-Link DE-528. When booted, the card was NOT detected and eth0 did not work. <oops> When I checked, kudzu was not running, so I turned it on. On the next boot, the card change WAS reported. The missing card was "removed". The D-Link card was detected properly. Then my old network settings were properly migrated. Finally, eth0 did initialize and work.

The resulting /etc/sysconfig/hwconf on RH 8.0 looks like my previous post, except for the four ...ID: fields. After all, its a different card.

Conclusion:
* RH 8.0 works like prior versions in this detail.
* Kudzu is my friend. I don't recall hand configuring a network card recently.

best,

ck