Re: Preference Files In Use (2nd Try)

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 15:01, Ronald W. Heiby wrote:
> Since sharing my home directory using NFS / automount, I sometimes
> find the following message on the X Window screen before Gnome gets
> going.
>
> "Your preferences files are currently in use. (If you are logged in to
> this same account from another computer, the other login session is
> probably using your preferences files.) You can choose to continue,
> but be aware that other login sessions may become temporarily
> confused. If you are not logged in elsewhere, it should be harmless to
> continue." [Cancel] [Continue]

I get this every time I log in, and it's really annoying me.  I think
it's been occurring for me ever since GNOME started playing up: Nautilus
sits there saying "Searching your hard disks for Trash folders"
indefinitely, and the Log Out menu item does not log me out.  For me
this is probably just a symptom of a bigger problem.

> So, who's holding what preferences files open

Probably nobody.

> Am I the first one to try sharing home directories via NFS and
> automount? Or, am I doing something remarkably stupid?

For everything to work properly, you need NFS locking enabled, but I
think you get a different error message if you don't have locking.

A possible way to get the error message to disappear is to log out,
remove ~/.gconfd, remove ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock, and log back
in, but chances are you'll see it again if something else is amiss.

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle <michael.wardle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Adacel Technologies